Yes, male menopause is a real thing and some common symptoms that men experience as they age can signal the beginnings of this annoying, and sometimes debilitating, hormone imbalance. Everyone has heard about menopause for women, but similar things can happen to men as well. Men’s hormones can get seriously out of whack as they get older, similar to women, but they do not lose their fertility, permanently. Have you heard about male menopause? If not, we are here to tell you all about it.
What is Male Menopause?
Essentially, male menopause is a transitioning period, just like women’s menopause, but instead of estrogen levels dropping like in women, testosterone levels in men decline and sometimes very dramatically. How is this different from female menopause besides the different hormone? In male menopause, there is no abrupt cut-off of hormones, completely ending fertility and hormonal cycles. Instead, men experience a gradual, age-related decline in testosterone levels, also known as hypogonadism, once the levels reach the level of a true deficiency in testosterone. Most of the time, it’s about half a percent of total body testosterone over the period of several years. Other times, it’s more significant than this.
As the levels get lower and lower as the years go by, certain adverse symptoms start to crop up. Dr. Archana Dhawan Bajaj, from the Nurture IVF Centre describes it as, “Fatigue, tiredness, lack of sexual interest, loss of libido plus discomfort in the breast, failure of erection, sometimes a decline in the sperm counts or decline in fertility are all symptoms of men’s menopause. We recommend testing testosterone levels for men with very significant symptoms.”
At our hormone replacement therapy (HRT) clinic, we recommend that men get their testosterone levels checked on an annual basis in order to proactive and catch a hormone imbalance issue before it really starts affecting their quality of life.
Subtle Symptoms – Test Testosterone Levels Annually
The symptoms can be subtle, and you may just chalk them up to aging since it’s a gradual decline, starting at even the young age of 50. But it might not just be “aging.” It could be a true hormone deficiency. In this case, the essential male hormone, testosterone, that gives you all of that male vitality. Most men experience testosterone deficiency around 60-65 years of age, but it can crop up around 50-55 years of age, according to Bajaj. It can be dependent on a man’s overall health and lifestyle. The subtlety of symptoms is also what differs from female menopause, which is much more dramatic with sometimes intense symptoms that come out of nowhere.
Unfortunately, male menopause can also negatively affect fertility, since testosterone is a necessary sex hormone. Thankfully, HRT can mitigate this problem if older men are looking to conceive.
Bajaj also brings up the point that, “However, fertility depends on several other factors, too. Low self-esteem, lack of sexual drive, a sense of incompetence of being old may affect a man’s fertility. So, it is very important to make men aware of it.”
Male Menopause Should Be Discussed More Often
Male menopause is more common than we think but most people either do not know about it or do not talk about it because the symptoms are just thought to be from basic aging. Bajaj says, “People don’t talk about it because the issue is not very well known. There is very little awareness about male menopause. Men usually take it as age-related fatigue and lack of sexual drive due to advancing age. Normally, people take it as a logical progression due to hormonal change in advancing age.”
This is just something that more men need to be aware of and should discuss with their doctor or a hormone specialist. Different lifestyles or health factors can lead to male menopause, including bone density changes, smoking or drinking alcohol on a regular basis. It’s possible to improve male menopause with increasing a man’s intake of vitamin D and calcium, or quitting smoking and alcohol. Sometimes it is not necessary to involve clinical intervention. Lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise really do help as well, and there are certain exercises men should focus on that boost testosterone levels.
If you want to get your testosterone levels checked or believe that you need something more than vitamins to boost your testosterone levels and have testosterone deficiency symptoms, consider contacting our clinic to quickly and easily get tested for male menopause.
Contact Us For A Fast And Professional Response
- Kyzatrex Achieves FDA Approval—A Brand New Oral Testosterone Treatment - August 13th, 2022
- The Power of Testosterone—Improving Memory in Diabetics - July 12th, 2022
- Tlando Low-T Treatment - A Safe and Effective Pill for Testosterone Deficiency - June 25th, 2022
- Tlando is on the Market – Oral Testosterone Replacement Therapy - June 9th, 2022
- Male Testosterone Levels Have Dropped by Half - Fact or Myth? - May 14th, 2022
- Anti-Aging Benefits from Hormone Balance - March 22nd, 2022
- The (Surprising) Necessity for Estrogen in Men - March 1st, 2022
- Low Testosterone – A Possible Link to Rheumatoid Arthritis Risk? - February 12th, 2022
- Low Testosterone (Low T) - September 7th, 2021
- Can Low Testosterone Be Cured? - September 5th, 2021
- Hydraulic Fracturing: Another Environmental Pollutant That Affects Your Testosterone Levels - July 11th, 2021
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy May Help Cure Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - June 5th, 2021
- Testosterone Cypionate Information - May 5th, 2021
- Primary Versus Secondary Hypogonadism - March 15th, 2021
- New Research Explores How Testosterone Influences Your Popular or Unpopular Opinions - February 22nd, 2021
- Covid-19 Mortality Risk Correlates With Low-T - December 17th, 2020
- Five Sports for Living Longer – Life Extension Through Sport - December 2nd, 2020
- Health Changes Associated with Low Testosterone and Andropause - November 16th, 2020
- Low-T Associated with Increased Risk of Atherosclerosis in Men with Type-2 Diabetes - October 20th, 2020
- The scientific research benefits of testosterone treatment (TRT) - September 26th, 2020
- Sermorelin — HGH Injections Versus Sermorelin and Testosterone Therapy Programs - September 20th, 2020
Word Count: 753